Lemon and Parsnip Cake
300grms (12oz) Plain Flour, 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder, 270grms (8oz) Caster Sugar, ½ Teaspoon salt, 2 Eggs beaten
2 Tablespoons of Lemon rind, grated
1 Tablespoon Lemon juice,1 Teaspoon of vanilla essence, 200ml (8Fl oz) vegetable oil, 250grms (10oz) parsnips, finely grated.
For the frosting:
125grms (5oz) cream cheese, 250grms (10oz) Icing sugar, A squeeze of lemon juice (to taste)
1. Grease and flour or line with parchment paper a 33cm x 23cm – 13in x 9in cake tin.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl.
3. Measure out the vegetable oil and add the beaten eggs, lemon rind, juice, and vanilla essence.
4. Fold the wet mix into the flour mix adding the grated parsnip. Ensure all ingredients are combined but do not over mix.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
6. Baked in the middle of the oven set at 180 degrees, (160 degrees in a fan oven) and bake for 50 – 60 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
7. Take from the oven, leave to cool slightly and turn out from the tin onto a cooling rack.
8. Once completely cool, mix all frosting ingredients and cover cake. (If tempted to eat the cake while still warm then forget the frosting!!!)
This cake will keep well in an air tight tin, not that you should store it, as enjoying it with a cuppa twice a day negates, the need for the tin!!!